Monday 9 December 2019

A new Approach to Addiction Treatment is Necessary

Having been on methadone myself now for 5 months and decreased my dose from 15 mls down to 6 in that time I am now a firm supporter of Opioid substitution as a means of treatment for heroin addiction. In that time I have only used methadone as prescribed by a doctor and have not used any other mind or mood altering substance. I was initially sceptical. I know it can be abused and it doesn't work for everyone, but there is no form of treatment that isn't open to abuse and does work for everyone. I think it is particularly an option for those on the street who have no resources and cannot afford rehab.
This does not mean I no longer believe or practice the 12 step program . I am as committed to it as ever. It is the only thing that worked for me to stay off drugs. I have have tried countless methods to get there ( some worked others better than others)., but always relapsed. The only thing that kept me away in the long term was practicing the 12 step program. They are certainly not mutually exclusive as some people believe. OST is, or should be, a treatment option. The 12 steps is a recovery program for long term sobriety. They each have a role to play. I go to meetings.I work a program. I take my methadone everyday. I don't put up my hand for clean time. I don't do any service beyond bringing coffee or putting out chairs, but i do claim to be (and I am) in recovery.
The government needs to be pressured to make methadone (or suboxone..or both) an essential medicine, available for free in the hospitals. We also need sponsored housing made available to those who are willing to go on OST programs, so they can get off the street.
This is what I envisage and am calling into reality: (I know it is a wild fantasy right now but i also believe it can become a reality. all we need is a property and some money ( people would need to be fed and housed) and a few committed people. this is the reason I am doing my doctorate... to be able to motivate for funding from government and/or private sector.)
Imagine a run down old property, abandoned. unused, in disrepair, stripped and useless for the purpose of living in. Such properties exist in their number in all of our cities and towns. Imagine that people from the street could start moving in to one of these houses.. Not in large numbers , just a few. those that are ready and willing to make a change in their life.... They could be provided free housing (depending on funding) for the first 3 months, and free methadone, if they need it, (again this relies on the government coming through or getting some funding) providing they stay off all drugs during this time that they are there. (testing would be essential). Their first project would be to begin fixing up the property, growing food, making it livable.
What I would call a reintegration program (as opposed to a rehabilitation program) should be put in place which would focus on the relearning of social skills, adjusting to normal life , deprogramming people from the addicted lifestyle of hustling and skarreling, reintroducing them to community and some form of spirituality (in the broadest possible meaning of the word- a sense of connectedness, rather than religiosity) Psychological counselling should also be available to those who need it. They could also receive training in one or more skills (depending on availability of instructors who would either be volunteers or paid through raised funding) these could include driving training, computer skills, arts and crafts, electrical repairs. etc. Other projects could be encouraged to raise money. (a recycling project, a food garden/ nursery, a repair hub where people could donate broken objects to be fixed and re- used, starting a coffee shop etc are possible options and i am sure there are others, depending on the skills of people involved. (Music art and drama should definitely be encouraged.). The centre could also operate as a community hub for recovery, hosting meeting, workshops and social events. . On completion of their three months residents would be expected to pay back and contribute by acting as mentors for new comers. If they wished to stay on they would have that option, but would be expected to pay rent through getting a job or doing work in kind around the centre. (we would need office workers, drivers, councellors, cleaners and would use people in recovery wherever possible).
These are just some of the crazy ideas I have .I know you probably think I'm mad by now, but most good ideas were started by someone who was first thought crazy.
So who want to join me make it happen?
Anyone know an abandoned property we can use?

No comments:

Post a Comment