Friday 2 August 2019

Why I Dont want A "Proper Job"thank you

Hi I have had some people saying that I am oversharing on facebook and that I should get a proper job rather than hustling on social media. I do appreciate that these comments are coming from a place of love and concern for me, and i thank those people for their concern. I feel, however that what am doing here in sharing my experience, my story, that others can learn from it, so that they can see that there is life after drug addiction, and get hope from that. It is difficult, being an elderly male to get a "proper job". I have only worked in bookshops and been a student most of my life. So I have opted to continue with my doctoral studies and look (or "hustle"--i am comfortable with that term for what I am doing--i don't see hustling as having negative connotations and it is a good description for what I do) for writing and editing work on the side to pay for food and rent. As I am fairly new to this kind of work ( at least professionally, I have been writing most of my life) , it is coming in fairly slowly, but as i do more work and build up a reputation, I have no doubt the work will come in more frequently (and it already is). I has been a battle. At times I have had no money even for food, and self pity consumes me, but I need to remember that I only came into recovery 10 weeks ago and I have done pretty well considering that. In that time I have had an article printed in an online newspaper, been on a radio show, made progress on my thesis, edited a book and helped a number of people to write articles for submission. Plus I run an online blog to help people with drug and addiction related issues. And i still find time to stop and talk to and carry a message to people living on the streets. And I go to meetings every day and have a program to help me to deal with all the stuff life throws at me. I'm quite happy to carry on hustling, thank you . I rather do this over a "proper job' any day of the week.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for sharing this great blog.Very inspiring and helpful too.Hope you continue to share more of your ideas.I will definitely love to read. Food Dehydration

    ReplyDelete